Costuras pespontadas – Topstitched seams

Como já vos tinha dito, decidi evidenciar algumas costuras deste vestido com pesponto contrastante. Para isso, desta vez vou usar torçal (a linha usada para casear à mão). Para conseguir fazer este tipo de pesponto há algumas coisas a ter em atenção:
As I mentioned before, I decided to enhance the style lines on this dress by topstitching some of the seams using contrasting thread. I thought, given the type of fabric, using buttonhole twist for the topstitching would be a good idea and the results prove me right. There are some advice to take into account in this case though:

- Usar o torçal somente na agulha e fio normal na canela (bobina);
- Use the buttonhole twist on the needle and regular thread on the bobbin;
- Diminuir a tensão da linha da agulha;
- Set the needle thread tension to a lower value;
- Usar um comprimento de ponto maior (neste caso usei 3.5);
- Increase the stitch length (I set it to 3.5 in this case);
- Usar uma agulha específica para fios grossos (o buraco da agulha deve deixar passar o torçal facilmente);
- Use a special purpose needle for thick thread (the eye of the needle should be wide enough to accommodate the buttonhole twist);
- Coser a uma velocidade reduzida e constante;
- Stitch at a low and constant velocity;
- Mudar a posição da agulha de forma a poder usar o lado do pé calcador como guia, alinhado com a costura;
- Use the presser foot right edge as a guide and change the needle position if necessary;
-Fazer sempre um teste antes para afinar a máquina e garantir que obtemos o resultado pretendido;
- Always test the stitch on a scrap of fabric first;

Na foto seguinte podem ver o detalhe dos pespontos nas costas (a cor não ficou fiel pois o meu tecido é vermelho vivo e não rosado):
The next picture shows the topstitching on the back of the dress (the color in the picture isn't true to the fabric's real color; my fabric is bright red and not pink):
As costuras são primeiro cosidas com linha normal e uma agulha tamanho 70, assentes a ferro na direcção pretendida (para o lado do pesponto) e chuleadas com a corta-e-cose; só depois se muda a linha da agulha e a afinação da máquina para fazer os pespontos. Na próxima foto vêm uma costura do avesso; se olharem com atenção, junto à costura da corta-e-cose vêm uns pontinhos brancos onde passa o pesponto; no avesso a linha é vermelha mas como a tensão da linha da agulha foi reduzida, podem ver o torçal a "espreitar" do lado do avesso.
I stitched the seams using normal thread and a size 70 needle, pressed them to the right direction and serged the SAs together (I also baste along the pressed seams so the SAs are secured in place for topstitching); then I changed the needle, the needle thread and set the machine to do the topstitching. If you observe the next picture (the wrong side of a topstitched seam) you can see, right next to the serged edge, little cream dots where the topstitching really is; the bobbin thread is red so almost invisible but since the needle thread tension is low, the buttonhole twist gets pulled to the wrong side originating those little dots.
Do lado direito fica assim Esta foto corresponde a uma frente; a linha alinhavada é onde será colocado o bolso):
This is how it looks on the right side (this is the front of the dress and the basted line shows where the pocket will be placed):
Para a próxima vou mostrar um pouco da confecção dos bolsos. Fiquem bem!
Next I will address the pockets! Stay tuned!

10 comments:

Adrienne said...

Great details Tany!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Tany

I discovered your blog about a month ago and I have been following it since then.

I relly love every thing you make, but the most important thing is that you are always willing to share all your technics with us.

I have no words to thank you for all the time and effort you take to share your knowledge with the rest of the world.
we are always learning from you!

Take all our respect and admiration.

YOUR READERS :)

Summerset said...

I like that you used red thread in the bobbin for the topstitching - it keeps the interior seam allowances looking neater.

Tany said...

Romina de Mexico: THANK YOU! Your words are a big compliment to me! I try my best as a sewing enthusiast and knowing that all this time and effort is meaningfull and is motivating others really gives me stamina to go on! Welcome to Couture et Tricot!

Anonymous said...

the fabric for this one is just stunning, love red!

KayB said...

Tany, I like the way you use contrasting overlocking thread (you did the same with the black ensemble). I probably belong to the "older" generation always wanting to match the overlocking thread to the garment colour. But I like what I see and will definitely keep that in mind.

Anonymous said...

Os perspontos dão um realce muito fixe ao vestido. Foi bem escolhido, o vestido e os perspontos.

Bjs

Mónica

dawn said...

Nice topstitching. I always like how the stitches actually slant a bit, like a stem stitch. I love topstitching myself, and though I'm not the best at it, I'm passable. And on linen, topstitching really shines.

Anynha Crochê said...

Olá amiga.
Parabens pelo blog lindo, e obrigado por nos ajudar a entender um pouco de costura.
Eu amo fazer minhas proprias roupas, e já peguei muita ajuda do seu blog.
Tenha uma otima semana...bjuss

Tany said...

Anynha Crochê: Obrigada pelo seu carinho e bem-vinda ao Couture et Tricot! Fico muito contente por ajudar e motivar pessoas nesta Arte que é a Costura! Beijinhos!

KayB: I think I used contrasting thread on the serger on the black ensemble for the first time and I kind of liked it too. I think the overlocking stitch is beautiful and very decorative if well balanced and enhanced this way.